- Student Body: Freire Wilmington serves approximately 500 students in grades 8-12, operating on a five-year high school model. Freire students come from throughout New Castle County.
- Diverse Staff: As 92% of our students are people of color, Freire Wilmington has prioritized recruiting and developing a racially diverse staff. With 51% staff of color, our students are certain to have opportunities to work with staff who look like them, both in and out of the classroom.
- History: Since 1999, Freire Schools have offered students a high-quality college-preparatory education at no cost, with no testing or GPA requirements. Freire Wilmington opened in 2015 to bring the proven Freire model to Delaware for the first time.
- College Success: Freire is all about Graduation x 2 – graduation from high school and from college. We challenge our students to achieve higher than they ever have before, and we give them the support they need to get there, including individualized college counseling. The average college scholarship per Freire Wilmington graduate in 2020 was $67,366.
- Academic Growth: Among our major feeder schools, Freire Wilmington is consistently a leader in student growth as measured by the DSSF. In 2018-19 (the last year for which we have data due to COVID-19), we outperformed these feeder schools in math growth and were third in English Language Arts growth. Additionally, the longer students attend Freire Wilmington, the better they perform.
- Location and Transportation: Located in downtown Wilmington on the banks of the beautiful Brandywine River, it’s easy for students to get here every day with school buses that travel throughout New Castle County and the option of free DART passes for those who want them. Plus, after-school bus routes ensure that every student can participate in extracurricular activities.
- 1:1 Computing: All Freire Wilmington students receive an individual laptop for use in school and at home. Our 1:1 program keeps students connected and learning during virtual learning and is helping us revolutionize teaching and learning in our building.